Missouri Town 1855 was never a real community in which people lived and worked. Instead, it is a reconstruction of a typical Missouri crossroads town during the mid-19th Century. The 19th century buildings in the village were moved to Missouri Town 1855 from other locations in seven different western Missouri counties.
A typical village in western Missouri looked much like Missouri Town 1855. There would be a school house, blacksmith’s shop, tavern, church and mercantile store. The houses represent the many social classes living in the village. The Colonel’s House, Squire’s House and their various outbuildings represent the upper class. The middle and lower classes are represented by the Tradesman’s House, Blacksmith’s House and the Settler’s House. Social activities in the town would probably have taken place at the non-denominational church or in private homes.
1855 was the last year before the all-out violence of the Kansas-Missouri border war began to disrupt the area. Although election interference had already begun, it wasn’t until 1856 that shootings, lynchings, and other violence had polarized pro-slavery and anti-slavery adherents into open conflict.